Resources and Further Reading
- Download slides from Dropbox. For personal use only, please do not distribute.
- Book Recommendations
- Non-Designer’s Design Book – Robin Williams
- Don’t Make Me Think – Steve Krug
- Web Experience for Screenreader Users
- Accessible vs Inaccessible. Can you hear the difference? (3 minutes) - Demonstration of screen reader technology
- Don't use "click here" and other common hyperlink mistakes (Medium)
- Accessibility Web Standards
- Video overview of WCAG 2.0 (2 minutes)
- Designing Accessibly
- Graphic and visual design
- Beginning Graphic Design (GCF Learn Free)
- Importance of White Space in Design (Prototypr.io)
- Analyzing Accessibility
Practice Activity: Analyze a Website
In this practice activity, you will analyze accessibility of a given webpage, write down the issues that you discover, and then self-check your analysis.
- Open the WAVE tool in a new tab
- Open the webpage "Accessible University" in a new tab
- Use WAVE to analyze "Accessible University." Write down the issues that you discover. What changes would you make?
- Once you've completed your analysis of "Accessible University," check your work. View the List of Accessibility Issues for Accessible University.
How does your list compare? Did you catch everything?
Want more practice?
Check out W3C's Before and After Demonstration. Analyze a webpage's "before" version, and then compare to the "after" version that has been made accessible.